Thursday, September 8, 2011

This app is now one of my favorites

The other day Grasshopper Apps sent me an email letting me know that it's I Like Books app is free to download for a short period of time. Of course, I immediately downloaded it.

The app contains 9 books all titled I Like something (one is I Love). The I Like subjects are animals. boats, cats, colors, dogs, drawing, fall, Grandma and I Love Dad. Each book allows the user to select either being read to or to read on one's own. With either selection one turns the page either forward or backward by swiping the page or tapping on the arrow. A third option is Autoplay, whereby the books is automatically read to the child and the pages turn without clicking on the forward arrow or swiping the page. The Settings option allow for sound, swipe, word highlights, story highlights, and picture highlights to be turned on or off. One can also customize the story by recording one's own storyline or changing the text. This option is incredible because it allows the speech path to change the story to reflect a specific goal. For instance, if the speech path would like the focus to be on the pronoun "he" rather than the "I" in the story, she can record and/or type in what she would like the storyline to emphasize. Customization can be erased and a new version made.

The stories are represented by photographs with clear and appealing images. Most of the pages are divided in two, each with its own storyline. The pictures complement on another. Some offer contrasting concepts others expand on a concept and some are a starting point for discussion of the two pictures. The vocabulary in the pictures is extensive without being overwhelming. I can see this app being used to target pronouns, verbs, opposites, similarities, vocabulary, descriptions (color, emotions, size and more), location, associations, reading, writing, and spelling. The customization feature allows a child to record or type her version of the story as well. I am impressed with this app's versatility. It has the "wow" factor.

Suggested uses: pronouns, verbs, opposites, similarities, vocabulary, descriptions (color, emotions, size and more), location, associations, reading, writing, and spelling.
Ages: 2-7 years
Cost:  free  for a limited time. I don't know what the price of this app will be but most Grasshopper apps are $.99.
Rating: +++++
Website: www.grasshopperapps.com

No comments:

Post a Comment